Start of Day 11 of our trek from Deboche (0730) to Khumjung (Dorjee & I) and then Namche Bazaar.
The start of this trekking day is a long and slippery ascent through the forest towards Tangboche. A good fitness test early in the morning. We reach Tangboche and take some more pics. Then the steep downhill ridge through more forest, rock, debris and then towards the surging river below. Excellent walking through the forest and it is hot again. Strip off our warmer clothes. Much easier going downhill, but harder on the knees.
Rolling hills and then the peaks of the Everest region.
In case you get lost.... ;-)
You can never get tired of the incredible scenery found in the Everest region. This pic is behind Tangboche.
We arrive at Phunki Taga (next to the river and suspension bridge) about 0845 for a snack of a delicious brownie each and take in the warmth and scenery from the patio. Leave Phunki Taga about 0915 for the long and steep climb up the mountain towards Namche Bazaar. We arrive at Kyangjuma for another rest/snack about 10:30. We run into a number of trekkers heading towards EBC. Also, many yak trains and porters carrying ridiculously heavy loads (see below).
Another example of the incredible loads these porters carry! I always get out of their way. Men at work! You can see the village of Kyangjuma in the distance.
Rest stop at Kyangjuma located on a ridge just north of Namche Bazaar. Dorjee gets us a snack called "Apple Jack" which is very much akin to apple strudel. What a fantastic view here from the patio and more warm sun. We really savour these moments of warm sun, fantastic views and good company.
This is where we decide to diverge. Jim treks with Hem to our lodge in Namche Bazaar. This takes them about 75 minutes.
Meanwhile, Dorjee and I trek to the large village of Khumjung. I want to see the 500 year old YETI scalp which I had seen on a documentary tv program a couple of months previous. I am really excited about this! I do believe Yetis, Abominable Snowmen or Sasquatch do exist and are Homonoids. The alleged yeti scalp was DNA tested as human and not animal.
Jim's mileage today: 7 miles and 17,283 steps. If you add in Dorjee and I getting to Khumjung and then to Namche Bazaar probably another 4-5 miles?
To get to this village which is located far above Namche Bazaar, we take a shortcut through Kyangjuma and then a long uphill 45 minute climb. We arrive at a restaurant in Khumjung for a refreshment and leave our backpacks at the restaurant. The monastery is only about a further 10 minute walk away and located on the outer edges of the town. This is a large agrarian village set against a large hill. Dorjee hasn't been to this village for a long time and we struggle to find a path that will take us there. There are no main streets in this village but lots of paths along the stone fences. We do navigate our way to the orange coloured monastery, but it is locked. No problem as Dorjee phones the number on the sign and some time later an older man shows up carrying many sets of keys. Unlocks the many locks and we are inside the beautiful inner monastery courtyard.
The last door opens up into the prayer room with many Buddha statues. Dorjee does his Buddhist rites and I provide a donation into the small slot. The container is opened and there is the alleged scalp with dark reddish black hair. The hair is nothing like I have seen before. Pretty cool! I take some pics and then my phone dies.
Khumjung Monastery which holds the Yeti scalp under lock and key. Yes, the monastery has prayer flags on all four sides.
Close up of the alleged Yeti scalp parted down the middle.
The container which is locked.
The Nepali word "Gompa" means monastery.
I really appreciated Dorjee taking me to see the yeti scalp. Another highlight from our trekking that I will never forget. We find our way back to the restaurant/lodge in the bright sunshine. Lunch is waiting. Fried potatoes with some vegetables and my favourite Tibetan bread. The trek to Namche Bazaar is about 65 minutes of effort. We walk by the local high school where boys are kicking around a small ball like a soccer ball. We then begin a long uphill ascent on stone stairs to the distant top of a tall ridge. Once at the top, we are in a pasture-like area and then at a spot that overlooks Namche Bazaar from very far up!
A very steep decline down to Namche Bazaar on dirt and rock steps. I won't miss these rocks and tricky steps and potential injury. A little after 2 pm and still warm and sunny. Jim is in his sleeping bag relaxing. Same room as last time with the adjoining bathroom and toilet. We open up the drapes and let the hot sun into the room. Relax on our beds shirtless and talk. Eventually, Dorjee knocks on the door to take our order for dinner. Rooster crowing away at 4 pm! Jim has boosted the lodge wifi for free as he got the password last time we stayed here. My iPhone is on zero battery so is being powered up to a full charge. As the afternoon progresses it does get gradually cooler in our room.
The milk tea I love is called DHUDH CHIYA in Nepalese.
We head to the dining room and the portable gas heater. Dorjee is there already getting warmed up. My iPhone is charging for 200 Rupee. We get to talking with an Aussie and his British Army buddy. Dinner is OK. My nCell doesn't work so I pay 500 Rupee for wifi access. Jim is in bed by 7:30 pm. The dining room is toasty so I update my photos via email and text with Lana in London. She is having a high tea. At 8:30 pm I head for our room.






No comments:
Post a Comment